Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

W300 PREVIEW! Is This Sparta?!


W300 PREVIEW! Is This Sparta?!

DISCLAIMER: PICTURES CAME FROM

I DO NOT OWN ANY OF THEM




 
Sound
Alert types
MP3, WAV
Loudspeaker
Yes
3.5mm Jack
Yes
Memory
Card Slot
microSD, up to 32GB
Internal
512MB ROM 256 RAM
Display
4 Inch Display
Battery

1500mAh
OS

Gingerbread 2.3.6
Camera
Primary
3MP
Secondary
NO
Features
Dual Sim
1 GHz Single-Core
NOTE

NO 3G
Price
2999


                After releasing the Cherry Mobile Titan and Cherry Mobile Flare, the latter being one of the most highly anticipated phones of the year, Cherry Mobile released another phone that breaks barriers with specifications slightly comparable to mid-range phones at the price of an entry-level phone. The W300 was released but it has not received the same amount of hype and announcement as its brother Flare. After the release of both Flare and the Titan, I have much respect and trust for Cherry now, but not to the point that my reviews will be biased to them. So, for P1000($20) less, do you get your money’s worth?

Specification Two-Cents

RAM and Clockspeed Review

                Many of you might wonder, what is RAM and the clockspeed for? Should I go for higher RAM, less clock or vice versa? The answer depends on how you use the phone. Random Acess Memory (RAM) is used to determine how many apps your unit can run simultaneously. So bigger RAM means you can multi-task much more applications without worrying about lagging on the system.
                Clockspeed is used to determine how fast your system will run a certain application. Simply put, higher clockspeed means faster phone. THIS IS THE GENERAL IDEA ON RAM AND CLOCKSPEED. Factors on speed are also determined by the chipset architecture, GPU, etc.
                At this point in time at least a 1Ghz processor runs the phone, unfortunately for the W300 no efforts were made or any other information was given. Just a plain old 1Ghz processor at the back of the box no way to INITIALLY identify its chipset.
                The W300 offers 256MB RAM and 512ROM, at this point 512 RAM is the standard. After handling many phones with 256MB RAM, I can say I am truly disappointed with almost all of them, barring the Nokia N8. I highly doubt the 1Ghz processor will be fully utilized into a low RAM, apps may run fast but no multi-tasking.

Camera                               

                The biggest factor which made dampened my interest is its 3Mp camera, sure nothing good is expected from the camera of Cherry Mobile phones, but the Flare showed us that it can pack a punch given a little oomph, the additional absence of a front-cam is a definite no-no.

Android Gingerbread 2.3.6 out of the box

                Another unimpressive addition to this phone is the outdated Operating System. Gingerbread does offer a more stable OS, but I think ICS has already stabilized as of today, the features present on ICS will surely be missed for those looking to buy this as an extra-phone.

                On a side-note, the reason the W300 has Gingerbread maybe its low RAM, I’m not sure about the requirements for ICS. Custom Roms maybe available, but seeing as this is a Rebranded phone, I highly doubt ever finding a ROM for this one.

Screen

                Probably its main selling point featuring a huge 4-Inch screen, this is definitely a good buy for those who will only be using this as a multimedia phone, watching virtually any video on the go is a definite plus to me. The screen is not IPS so don’t expect good viewing angles.

SIM Duality

Cherry Mobile has been known to produce Dual-sim phones, probably one of the pilots to the technology in the Philippines. Dual-Sim Dual Standby is a definite Yes to the people. Another +1 for the W300.

Conclusion

Android + Abysmal RAM + 1Ghz Processor  + Dual-Sim + 4 Inch at P3000

After doing some back reading, I have found out that this phone can barely play any games. Being unable to play games on an Android is like giving a guitarist a drumset. It makes no sense. Gaming is an important part of an Android user as some time or another, you will inevitably play a game casually to pass the time.
Being a budget-geek I seek the best offer I can find, for the price of P2999, I would very much prefer buying the Candy Phone TV than this one, and for P300 more, I will definitely choose the W100 over this phone anyday. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hate this phone, I just see no reason for me to get so excited about it. But for anyone budget-ridden looking for a Cheap 4 Inch multimedia set, I would definitely  recommend this one. If you want the Full Android Experience, of course I will suggest the W100 and of course the mighty Cherry Mobile Flare.
To answer my question, NO, this is not SPARTA.

If I get my hands on this phone I will do a full-review on it :)




No comments:

Post a Comment